1/144 = 1/2000 to 1/101
1/72 = 1/100 to 1/60
1/48 = 1/59 to 1/40
1/32 = 1/39 to 1/1
- Biplanes and Rigged Types - 1/72 & smaller
- Biplanes and Rigged Types - 1/48 & larger
- Single Engine Prop - 1/72
- Single Engine Prop - 1/48 - Allied
- Single Engine Prop - 1/48 - Axis
- Multi Engine Prop - 1/72
- Multi Engine Prop - 1/48
- Jet - 1/72
- Jet - 1/48
- All Except Civil - 1/32 & larger
- All Except Civil - 1/144 & smaller
- Civil & Civil Markings - all scales
- Rotary Wing - 1/48 & smaller
- Rotary Wing - 1/32 & larger
- Scratchbuilt & Major Conversions - all scales
- Out of Box - all scales
1/48 & larger except as noted
- Fully Tracked - 1/72 & smaller
- Softskin, All Except Fully Tracked - 1/72 & smaller
- Fully Tracked, Closed Top AFVs - Allied - pre 1946
- Fully Tracked, Closed Top AFVs - Axis - pre 1946
- Fully Tracked, Closed Top AFVs - Modern - post 1945
- Fully Tracked, Visible Interior/Open Top AFVs - Allied - pre 1946
- Fully Tracked, Visible Interior/Open Top AFVs - Axis - pre 1946
- Fully Tracked, Visible Interior/Open Top AFVs - Modern - post 1945
- Softskin, Halftracks & Armored Wheeled Vehicles - all periods
- Ordnance & Prime Movers Under Tow - all periods - all scales
- Major Conversions & Scratchbuilds - all periods - all scales
- Out of Box - all periods - all scales
1/20 - 1/25 except as noted
- Factory Stock
- Custom & Show Cars
- Street Rods & Hot Rods, 1949 & older
- Hot Rods & Street Machines, 1950 & later
- Competition, Open Wheel
- Competition, Closed Wheel
- Dragsters, including Funny Cars & Pro Stock
- Light Trucks, Pickups, SUVs, Car-based Police & Emergency Vehicles
- Heavy Trucks, Commercial; Heavy Fire, Rescue & Emergency Vehicles
- All 1/32 & smaller
- All 1/20 & larger
- Motorcycles - all scales
- Out of Box - all scales
- Oars and/or Sail - all scales
- Powered - 1/401 & smaller
- Powered - 1/400 & larger
- Submarines - all scales
- Out of Box - all scales
Also see Wargaming Categories below
- Foot - 30mm to 90mm
- Mounted - 30mm to 90mm
- Foot - larger than 90mm
- Mounted - larger than 90mm
- Busts - all scales
- Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Movies & Comics - 8-1/2" high or less including base
- Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Movies & Comics - over 8-1/2" high including base
- Vignettes - Figures Only, No Vehicles - all scales
FANTASY AND SCI-FI WARGAMING (Figures & Equipment)
up to 40mm
- Fantasy - Single Model, Alternate History/Steampunk/Pure Fantasy
- Fantasy Unit - 2-10 Models, Alternate History/Steampunk/Pure Fantasy
- SciFi - Single Model, Weird WW2/Near Future/SciFi
- SciFi - 2-10 Models, Weird WW2/Near Future/SciFi
SPACE & SCIENCE FICTION
- Factual Spacecraft, Vehicles and Equipment
- Fictional Subjects, including Spacecraft, Steampunk, Powered Suits
- Military Vehicle Dioramas
- Aircraft Dioramas
- Ship Dioramas
- All Other Dioramas
ALL OF THE REST
- Collections - Five or More Related Subjects
- Miscellaneous - All Other Entries
- Humor in Modeling
- Modified/Customized Die-cast - all kinds
- Master Modeler - Models which have been first place winners at previous BuffCons
- Bantam (ages 10 and under) - all entries
- Junior (ages 11 to 17) - all Aircraft
- Junior (ages 11 to 17) - all Military Vehicles
- Junior (ages 11 to 17) - all Automotive
- Junior (ages 11 to 17) - all Other Subjects
- This contest is open to all registrants. IPMS membership is encouraged, but not required.
- Neither Niagara Frontier Chapter, the proprietors of the contest site, or the judges assume liability
for loss or damage to entries.
- Models which have been First Place winners at previous BuffCons may ONLY be entered
in the Master Modeler category. Please do not abuse this rule. We like to see new models!
- Models may be displayed on simple bases. Except for Diorama categories, bases will not be considered
PLEASE MARK ON YOUR ENTRY FORM IF MODEL IS NOT ATTACHED TO BASE.
- The Chief Judge may combine or split categories prior to judging. The Chief Judge is responsible for
all judging issues. All decisions of the Chief Judge are final.
- Models built to scales other than those listed shall be placed in the nearest appropriate scale category.
- Out of Box entries (including "Hi-Tech" kits) are to be constructed from the contents of the kit per the
kit instructions, with the following exceptions: you MAY fill seams; sand off rivets and panel lines; restore
local lost surface detail; drill out guns, exhausts or other appropriate openings; thin edges; add rigging,
antennae and simple tape or decal seat belts; and choose alternate color schemes and decals. Weathering is
permitted. You MAY NOT make or replace any part; re-scribe overall; add details; or separate such parts as
doors, canopies, surfaces or hatches, except as listed above.
THE KIT INSTRUCTION SHEET MUST BE DISPLAYED WITH YOUR ENTRY.
- Conversions must constitute a major change of version, model or mark, and must be accompanied by a
description of the changes involved. Entries that use a commercially available conversion kit (or kits) will
be placed in the appropriate non-conversion category.
- A scratchbuilt model shall comprise 25% or less of commercially available or kit supplied parts, with the
remainder fabricated by the modeler.
- Bantam and/or Junior modelers may enter Adult categories.
- All disputes will be referred to both the Category Coordinator and the Chief Judge for resolution. Their
decisions are final.
- All awards must be picked up at the contest.
- Die-cast models - Out of the box die-cast models are not allowed in any category. Modified or
customized die-cast models may only be entered in Category 68. Models in this category will be judged
only on the extent of the modifications/customizations as described in detail on the entry form and on
the related workmanship. ENTRIES IN THIS CATEGORY ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR BEST IN SHOW.
HANDLING OF MODELS
- It may become necessary for IPMS Niagara Frontier members (under the direct supervision of the Chief Judge) to adjust
placement of models on the display tables due to the varying amount of entries received in the contest categories.
- During judging, some judges may find it necessary to pick up a model to inspect its underside. If an entrant does not
want the entry to be handled by the judges, note this on the entry form.
- Although not required, it is strongly recommended that models be firmly attached to a base.
- Handling of models by contest personnel will be kept to an absolute minimum.